Proper storage of your Portable Water Softener will maximize the unit's efficiency and will help ensure that the product is ready to use when you are bringing it out for the season.
Two things we are preventing by properly storing our water softener.
- Water freezing in the unit, which can rupture the tank or head of the unit
- Biological growth (algae, bacteria, viruses) that can cause adverse health effects
Follow these storage procedures if the softener will sit unused for more than 2-3 weeks.
- Perform a backflush by running water backwards through the softener for 3-5 minutes. This will flush out any sediment that has accumulated in the tank.
- Drain water from the unit by turning the softener on it’s side/upside down and allow water to drain from the in/out ports.
- When all water is drained, turn the unit right side up and remove the head of the unit. This will allow excess moisture to evaporate from the tank. If possible, placing the unit in direct sunlight will accelerate the evaporation of moisture. This may take a few days to sufficiently dry.
- When the resin is mostly dry, replace the top cap securely.
- Plug the input/outputs with small pieces of paper towel to prevent bugs from making a home in the softener.
Unit is ready for storage.
Bringing softener back into service
- Unscrew top cap completely
- Sanitize unit
- Resin Cleaner (optional)
- Perform recharge
Follow recharge instructions on system instructions.
Unit is now ready for use.